You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Trayvon Martin’ tag.
A judge in Florida set bond for George Zimmerman at $1 million on Thursday, and ordered the former neighborhood watchman released. It’s unclear, however, when Zimmerman will post the bond.
It’s the second time Zimmerman, charged with second-degree murder in the Feb. 26 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, has been granted bond. He was released after posting a $150,000 bond in April, but was sent back to jail after prosecutors said Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, misled the court about his finances at his initial bond hearing.
The couple did not disclose more than $135,000 in PayPal donations that were raised for Zimmerman’s defense. Last month, Shellie Zimmerman was arrested and charged with perjury. She was released on $1,000 bond.
[Also read: Thursday's bond ruling]
Zimmerman pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder charge, claiming he shot the unarmed 17-year-old in self-defense and is innocent under the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Last week, Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara argued his client should not be in jail. According to the Orlando Sun Sentinel, O’Mara said that Zimmerman’s legal defense fund has a balance of $211,000, which would meet the 10 percent minimum bond requirement.
An order issued Tuesday by Assistant State Attorney John Guy charged Shellie Zimmerman, 25, with knowingly making false statements during the April hearing. She was arrested on Tuesday but has since bonded out of jail.
Meanwhile, the task force formed by Florida’s Gov. Rick Scott held a public hearing today to discuss Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, with opponents and proponents protesting loudly. Unfortunately, these hearings should not be taking place until AFTER George Zimmerman’s trial. The hearings are tainting the jury pool as much as the media did in trying Zimmerman in the press before any facts were presented.
Evidence against Zimmerman lacking on key issue
Records released by prosecutors last week show little evidence that George Zimmerman acted with malice when he shot Trayvon Martin. Prosecutors will have to prove that intent in order to get a conviction for second-degree murder.
By Scott Hiaasen, Audra D.S. Burch and Frances Robles
The stack of evidence released Thursday in the second-degree murder case against George Zimmerman is notable, legal experts say, for what’s not in it: firm evidence that Zimmerman acted with malice when he shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
Special prosecutor Angela Corey filed a second-degree murder charge against Zimmerman last month, alleging that Zimmerman, a neighborhood crime-watch volunteer, acted with ill will when he shot Martin, a black teen, following a Feb. 26 scuffle behind some townhouses in a gated community in Sanford, where Martin was staying with his father.
But analysts say the evidence released thus far contains little information to support the prosecutor’s contention that Zimmerman acted with a “depraved mind” when he shot Trayvon — a standard the prosecution must meet if the murder charge is to stand.
The special prosecutor has charged George Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder in the shooting death of 17 year old Trayvon Martin. Despite being tried and convicted by the media and the rantings on Rev. Al Sharpton and the Rev. Jesse Jackson, the case is now in the proper forum where justice can be served.
Now begins the long road begins. Zimmerman, who claims his shooting was in self-defense, is in custody. He has a new lawyer, Mark O’Mara, and having heard him speak a short time ago, Zimmerman is in good hands. As the FACTS unfold, one has to wonder if the case will be as much of an indictment of the race-baiting media as it is of the shooting itself.
Alternate headline: MSNBC hits new low, keeps digging…
Here’s how MSNBC framed the call:
“This guy looks like he’s up to no good. . . he looks black,” Zimmerman told a police dispatcher from his car.
What he really said:
ZIMMERMAN: This guy looks like he’s up to no good, or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.
911 DISPATCHER: Okay, is this guy, is he white, black, or Hispanic?
ZIMMERMAN: He looks black.
From Gateway Pundit:
A 13-year-old Kansas City boy is back home after two teenagers poured gasoline on him and lit him on fire. It happened Tuesday at the teen’s home on Quincy Avenue, just down the street from Kansas City’s East High School. The boy lives less than two blocks away from the school and was walking home when the attack happened. Melissa Coon said her son turned from the school’s stadium onto Quincy Avenue and noticed two teenagers following him. She said the teens followed her son home and attacked him outside his front door. “And they rushed him on the porch as he tried to get the door open,” she said. “(One of them) poured the gasoline, then flicked the Bic, and said, ‘This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy’.”